Monday, April 20, 2015

Meal Plan: April 19th- April 23rd- Curried Peanut Sauce Bowl with Tofu

This week's recipe comes from the Bowls chapter of Isa Does It. To me, bowls are consummate comfort food but are still a little bit intimidating to me because they have a bunch of components that have to be made. I am not the person who likes to make a million things for one meal. I chose to begin my foray into this chapter with the Curried Peanut Sauce Bowl. And oh me oh my what a good pick that was. I love me some tofu and I love me some rice but put this curried peanut sauce over the top and I am right in heaven. I could eat this sauce with a spoon and if I didn't need it for the rest of the week, that's exactly what I'd do! I gotta figure out what else I can smother this stuff on. Isa, you done good!         So this week, I didn't spend any money at the grocery store. I've been eating leftovers of the tamale shepherd's pie for lunch and I pretty much bought everything I needed for this in previous trips. (I've been trying to be thriftier than usual because I just booked a ticket to fly to the states in August and I gotta save every shekel! As it is, this month is stacking up to be pretty expensive!)                                                                               The original recipe called for kale but I stopped by my local vegetable store on the way home on the day I made this and they were all out so no kale here. It definitely could use some color but maybe I'll add that the next time I make this. I used a natural peanut butter to make this (no JIF or Skippy here!) and I dry fried the tofu and the garlic and ginger for the sauce-n o damage done to either. I also found that two tbsp of tamari wasn't enough for me. I think I may have added an extra tbsp and a half or so to get that perfectly umami flavor.
Curried Peanut Sauce Bowl with Tofu
slightly adapted from Isa Does It

For the Tofu:
14 ounces of tofu, cubed
1/4 tsp salt

For the Sauce:
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup water
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
2 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2-3 tbsp tamari, to taste
2 tbsp agave
1 tsp sriracha
pinch salt

4 cups cooked rice or quinoa

Preheat a pan over very high heat. Add the cubed tofu and sprinkle with salt. The tofu should sizzle when it hits the pan. If not, turn up the heat. Cook the tofu, tossing it to make sure it's browned on all sides. Set aside tofu.

I used the same pan to make the sauce. To the pan add the ginger and garlic. Add a tiny bit of water to help it not stick. Saute for about 30 seconds. Add the cup of water. When the water is warm, add the peanut butter, curry, vinegar, tamari, agave and sriracha. As it cooks the peanut butter will smooth out and the mixture will become sauce like- it should take five minutes or so. Taste for seasoning.

In a bowl (I clearly used a plate) place some rice and top with tofu. Drizzle with sauce. Heaven, here you come!

No comments:

Post a Comment