Friday, May 29, 2015

Carrot Cake Pancakes

Happy Friday, everyone! We are coming off a terrible heatwave here and experiencing some interesting spring weather just in time for the weekend. Last night, I had the idea to make pancakes for breakfast and seeing as I had carrots that needed to be used, these Carrot Cake Pancakes from Isa Does It seemed like a fitting candidate. They turned out beautifully. The grated carrots really lend their color to the pancakes as well as their mildly sweet flavor and the spices come through as well.                           I made a few changes based on what I had on hand. I was initially bummed that I didn't have flaxseeds on hand. Flaxseeds take the place of the eggs and are pretty critical. I decided to be brave and soldier on with out them, subbing instead unsweetened applesauce for them and for the oil. I also used whole wheat flour as I don't keep all-purpose on hand. They turned out just perfectly. I didn't have fresh allspice, so that didn't make it in either. They turned out lovely and light despite all of the changes I made. The pancakes are sweetened with maple syrup and it would be appropriate to drizzle these with some maple syrup but I didn't feel like gilding that lily this morning.

Carrot Cake Pancakes
 adapted from Isa Does It

1 cup soymilk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup maple syrup
4 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
1 cup peeled and grated (not shredded) carrots

In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar into the soymilk. Let sit for a few minutes to curdle. Add the water, syrup, apple sauce and vanilla into the milk mixture and stir.
In a larger bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Make a well in the flour mixture and add the dry ingredients. Gently mix to blend. Do not overmix! Fold in the grated carrots. Let sit for ten minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat your pan. Lightly coat with canola oil then wipe clean. Drop in 1/3 cup scoops-- I used an ice cream scoop for this. Cook about four minutes on each side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment