Monday, February 2, 2015

Coconut Pancakes

I interrupt this week's rigid meal plan to bring you.... Coconut Pancakes! This recipe was made on an impulse and my am I glad that I was impulsive! I finished my monthly stash of berries two days before I can pick up my order for a fresh supply so that left me without breakfast for a couple of days. That, coupled with the fact that I had leftover soy milk from making corn bread meant I had to be creative. Can't starve and certainly can't have any waste! Although I asked for suggestions on Facebook, my heart was telling me only one thing- pancakes! And so pancakes I would have. I checked online and a basic search told me that my favorite vegan chef, Isa Chandra Moskowitz, has a a few pancake recipes in the very book that showed up in my mailbox a couple of days ago. The coconut pancakes quickly caught my eye. Seeing as I had everything in my pantry (making this budget friendly) I set to work. These were easy peasy to make and behaved just as an egg-filled pancake would and my how delicious all the coconut was. I didn't use as much nutmeg as called for and I'm glad I didn't because then I would have been too overwhelmed by the flavor. The nutmeg really complemented the coconut well. Did I mention that I love coconut?! Being a McDougaller, I rarely use oil and almost never use coconut anymore but I figured that once in a while is okay. I'm hoping my heart will forgive me. As I still have another cup or so of soy milk left, I probably will make a batch of her plain pancakes tomorrow, the recipe being very similar to this one. Gosh, go make these already-- they are simply divine!

Coconut Pancakes
adapted from Vegan with a Vengeance

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it and use what seems right to you
1/3 cup water
1 cup soy milk
2 tbsp agave syrup
1 tsp coconut extract
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Oil a large skillet and preheat over medium high heat.
Stir together the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Make a a well and add the water, soy milk, agave, extract and oil. Stir to blend without overmixing. Fold in the shredded coconut.
Drop batter by the 1/4 cupful onto the pan and cook about three minutes or until the pancake starts to bubble up. Gently flip the pancakes and continue cooking until browned, about another two minutes. Serve immediately or throw caution to the wind by refrigerating them and having them for breakfast the next morning. Syrup would be gilding the lily here but go ahead, gild that lily.

No comments:

Post a Comment