Thursday, February 5, 2015

Meal Plan Feb 1st-Feb 5th Part 2: Fresh Corn and Scallion Cornbread

This recipe, in my humble opinion, was the star of this week's meal plan. Maybe I just love corn, maybe I just like quick bread type things, I don't really know- but it was just.so.good and it really hit the spot.

I had all of the ingredients on hand for this recipe except for the scallions. I didn't realize how pricey they were and seeing as their flavor wasn't pronounced in the final product, I'd probably leave them out next time around. I used frozen corn as that's what I had, as well as soy milk and coconut oil as my chosen milk and oil. Not exactly McDougall friendly, in terms of the oil, but we all have our weeks.

There really isn't that much more to say about this recipe than that I loved that the corn flavor came through nice and sweet and that it reheats nicely. I'll be making this again and again. And again.

Fresh Corn and Scallion Cornbread
barely adapted from Appetite for Reduction

1 cup soy milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp agave syrup
1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed corn
1/2 cup scallions, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil (or use parchment) an 8x8 inch pan.
Add the vinegar to the soy milk, stir and set aside to curdle.
In a bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
Pour in the milk, oil, and syrup and whisk to combine- do not over mix!
Fold in the corn and scallions. Pour into the pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Voila!


This ends another meal plan week in my house!

Be healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment