Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Meal Plan- Feb 15th- Feb 19th: Eggplant Chickpea Curry

So today is Wednesday, which means I'm a bit late with posting this week's recipe and shopping summary. Work has been quite overwhelming this week, there's been plenty of hullabaloo about getting a massive snow storm tomorrow, and I think I'm getting sick. Eek! Right now, I'm holding out for the weekend, as freezing cold as it might be!

This week's recipe was the Eggplant Chickpea Curry from Appetite for Reduction. The only thing I needed to make this recipe was eggplant, tomatoes, and couscous to serve it on. Everything else I had on hand which made this week's shopping trip very inexpensive. I picked up the usual peppers, corn, carrots, and cucumbers in addition to the eggplant, tomatoes and couscous all for a mere 45 shekels. Not bad. (I'll be making up for it next week seeing as I need to stock up on potatoes and oats.)

This recipe featured a different flavor profile than I'm used to. I've never cooked with really Indian flavors and it was my first time really featuring curry or garam masala in a recipe. It was pretty no frills and easy to put together. I accidentally defrosted 3 cups worth of chickpeas instead of 1.5 cups but I would keep that for next time. It took a while for me to adapt to the different flavor profile, but by yesterday, I actually really liked it! I hope to try more Indian style recipes in the future. As always, (except when I'm feeling rebellious) I left out the oil.. and the red pepper as well. Make it as you please. You can serve this over rice or couscous. Having sold my rice cooker (to buy the Instant Pot- woot woot!), I opted for the simpler couscous. Choice is yours.

Eggplant Chickpea Curry
from Appetite for Reduction

1 small white onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp ginger, minced
3 tomatoes, chopped- to equal about 2 cups
2 medium sized eggplants, chopped into 3/4 inch cubes
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin
1 cup vegetable broth
3 cups of chickpeas, home cooked or canned, drained and rinsed

Preheat a large pot. Toss in the onions and a little bit of water and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook an additional two minutes.
Add the tomato (should deglaze the pan) and eggplants and stir. Add the spices and then the vegetable broth. Stir to combine. Cover and bring to a slow boil. Continue to cook for about 40 minutes. Add in the chickpeas and cook for a further 10 minutes. Taste for salt and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment