Saturday, February 28, 2015

Shabbat Cooking: Mushroom Tibs

Shavua tov!
It's been a long time since I've hosted a meal for my friends at my place and so I decided to organize a small one. I knew that except for the chicken that I was preparing for my guests that everything else would be WFPB. I made Isa's Smokey Split Pea Soup again (I made it exactly as the recipe stated this time and it was so good!), a batch of rice in the Instant Pot (not perfect yet!), a salad and these mushroom tibs.

I had been wanting to try these mushrooms for ages but couldn't figure out a way to incorporate them into my meal plans. Mushrooms are pricey here and it would take quite a lot of them to turn them into nightly dinners. I figured they would be appropriate for dinner and so they made it to the menu. This recipe also comes from Appetite for Reduction (when I say I'm cooking through a book, I mean it!). Isa explains this as an Ethiopian inspired recipe. I've never had Ethiopian food before so I took her word for it. I was a bit nervous that my friends wouldn't like these because they are loaded with pretty much every spice I have in my cabinet. (The curry stained my pan!!) Turns out, they were a hit. I really liked them myself and had the little bit that was leftover with some leftover Persian rice. Yum. This really is a winning side dish. Definitely try it. I doubled the recipe pretty much and I left out the oil as well. Another keeper!

Mushroom Tibs
slightly adapted from Appetite for Reduction

1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced in half
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/3 cup vegetable broth
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp spicy paprika
2 tsp mild curry powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Place the mushrooms in a 9x13 inch pan. In a cup, use a fork to mix together the tomato paste and broth. Add the remainder of the ingredients and mix well.
Coat the mushrooms with the mixture. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the oven and toss. Return to the oven and bake until the mushrooms look like they're covered thickly with spices and not much liquid remains, perhaps another 15-20 minutes depending on your oven. Taste for salt and serve. I made these in advance and they reheated just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment