Monday, March 9, 2015

Black Bean Brownies

Remember those mushy black beans I stashed in the freezer? Well, I figured it was time to put some of them to use, seeing as we're heading towards Pesach. While they're not strictly forbidden (only for the Ashkenazim among us), they gotta be used eventually. I was inspired to make Black Bean Brownies... actually, I'm not quite sure what triggered that thought process. In any case, I thought to make some and started doing some Googling, After a bit of searching, I came across this recipe from Oatmeal With a Fork. My hosts for my Friday morning Purim meal needed to delay the start of the meal by a bit which was fine by me as it gave me ample time to get this batter whipped up and in the oven.

I did adapt the recipe quite a bit, lowering the amount of oil, omitting the stevia, and adding a bit more cacao since after tasting the batter, the honey flavor came through stronger then the cacao. Oh, and I used cacao and not cocoa-- total risk, having no clue how it would interact with the baking soda. I think I did ok? I left out the chocolate chips as well since I don't keep those on hand.

These brownies don't look like any brownie I've ever made. They actually look like an earthquake hit them; not so attractive. I refrigerated them immediately as the recipe says that because they contain no binders, they need to be chilled to hold their shape. When I came home from my Purim meal, I gave them a taste. Although they are a bit crumbly, they held up the cutting just fine. The flavor was also quite different; not chocolate-y as I know it, but rather a deep, rich cocoa flavor. Pretty different, but pretty good. I would definitely say that they hit their mark. I carefully portioned the brownies out, wrapped them individually in plastic wrap and froze them. I think these will be good for a special treat, for dessert when I feel like I need a boost, or for a day that I'm up and traveling for work, such as tomorrow, and I'm not sure how much WFPB based food I'll be able to get my hands on. I will say that I have realized that I'm kind of a sugar addict (I guess I get it from my dad) in the sense that when I have a little, I want more. I don't keep sugar or candy in the house, but if I have it, it's bad news. I try to not have it as it doesnt lead to good things. In that sense, maybe having these brownies around werent such a bright idea. On the other hand, I could do A LOT worse. UPDATE: These brownies are so yummy out of the freezer! They are soft and melt in your mouth and are just like Devil Dogs to me in flavor! That's a win! Anyway, recipe after the jump.
Black Bean Brownies
slightly adapted from Oatmeal With a Fork

1 1/2 cups black beans, drained and rinsed 
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp cacao powder
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tsp vanilla
1-2 tbsp water as needed

Preheat the oven to 350. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper; set aside.
Place the beans into the bowl of a food processor. Process until very, very smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth, If the batter needs more water, add a tablespoon at a time. Taste the batter to see if it's up to your chocolate standard. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Immediately place in the fridge for at least thirty minutes so that it can set up. Slice and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment