Friday, March 6, 2015

Shabbat Cooking Part 1: Hoisin Mustard Tofu

Purim is in full swing! I gotta say, it is NOT my favorite holiday on the Jewish calendar, not even close. This year, most of my focus was on reading Megillah. I spent the last few months learning how and preparing for my grand debut. ;) I was very nervous leading up to it but I pulled it off! Very proud of myself. This year, Purim falls out on Friday, which is right into Shabbat, making this day quite rushed. One who celebrates Purim in Jerusalem has to prepare and eat a meal in honor of Purim and then prepare another one for Shabbat. Eek! For me? I need a relaxing Shabbat after all this hulabaloo. I'm eating with a couple of friends at her apartment and then at home in the morning. Need me some quiet after all those firecrackers!

It was a while before I figured out what I wanted to make as I am WFPB and wanted to go as unprocessed as possible. I don't know that I succeeded but I decided to make tofu and rice. I finished all the cooking Thursday afternoon so I wouldn't be rushed on Friday. Obviously, I turned to my go to girl right now, Isa Chandra and decided to make the Hoisin Mustard Tofu and the Unfried Fried Rice. That girl hasn't let me down yet!

First things first. That tofu? Amazing. I really am a savory over sweet girl and I just love some soy. The tofu did not disappoint. Im so excited that I made a triple batch and have leftover for Shabbat morning. (I missed tofu so much that I decided to change up this week's meal plan!) I started by pressing the tofu and then cubing it. I dry fried it (not even cooking spray!) and that turned out well. I tossed it with some soy sauce and set it aside. Next came sauteeing some vegetables in sesame oil and then adding some mirin, hoisin and mustard. So simple, but so flavorful. This recipe is a freakin' winner! If ever I need a protein rich dish to bring to a meal, I can guarantee you, this is going to be it!

As I mentioned, I tripled the recipe but didn't use as much oil as called for. Below is the recipe as it appears in the book. Gosh, make this and stat!

Hoisin Mustard Tofu
from Appetite for Reduction

Tofu:
1 block of extra firm tofu, pressed and then diced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 tsp soy sauce

Sauce:
1 tsp sesame oil
1 red pepper, seeded and diced small
1 small onion, diced small
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (I left this out)
3 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tsp prepared yellow mustard (I used dijon)

Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and cook until most sides are browned, about ten minutes. Add the soy sauce about half way through and stir to coat. Remove the tofu to a bowl while you prepare the sauce.
Saute the pepper, onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes (if using) in the sesame oil until soft and browned, about ten minutes. Add the mirin and let cook out for about three minutes. Add the hoisin sauce and mustard and cook for another minute or two. Add the tofu to the sauce and stir to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment