Sunday, March 8, 2015

Shabbat Cooking Part 2: Unfried Fried Rice

Isa suggested that the Hoisin Mustard Tofu be served with her Unfried Fried Rice. Who am I to object? I should mention, that I loooove fried rice so that was a no-brainer. Turns out it was the perfect accompaniment to the tofu. I had leftovers for Shabbat lunch and they just hit. the. spot.  I'm going to take a break from tofu this week before trying another recipe.

I started by cooking the rice in the Instant Pot and then used the saute function to finish it off. I love the ease of using the same pot for one recipe and really like getting use out of the IP. I opted to add frozen peas to the recipe as that's what I had on hand. Pesach is coming and I gotta use things up! I made a double recipe of the rice.

Unfried Fried Rice
adapted from Appetite for Reduction

1 cup brown basmati or jasmine rice
2 cups water
1 tsp sesame oil
1/3 cup chopped shallot
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp soy sauce
1 cup thawed frozen peas

First, cook the rice as you normally would. I used my IP to cook two cups of rice- I made sure to lower the amount of water used and it came out perfectly. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Once the rice is finished cooking, spread the rice out onto the cookie sheet. This will help the rice cool faster so you dont end up with mushy rice at the very end.
Preheat a medium-large skillet. Saute the shallot, garlic and ginger in the sesame oil for about two minutes. Add the peas and stir. Add the rice and then the soy sauce, tossing to coat. Cook for another three minutes until the rice is warmed through and thoroughly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment