Thursday, March 12, 2015

Meal Plan: March 8th- March 12th- Kidney Bean and Butternut Jamba Stew

This week's recipe was the Kidney Bean and Butternut Jamba Stew. Apparently, it's meant to be a riff on a jambalaya but growing up in Brooklyn, New York, I never had any. I do love me some butternut squash and beans so I figured it was a good fit. (This recipe was supposed to be in a couple of weeks but because Im going to be away for the weekend and I thought I should put some more time between me and my tofu, I made this now. Also, the weather is getting delightful here. Hot stew during a heat wave? Not fun!)

Enough babbling. This week's supermarket run cost me only 67 shekel. 67.44 to be exact. What did I buy? Let's see... I picked up peppers (yellow this week but 1 green one for the stew), a few cucumbers, corn, a few onions, a butternut squash, corn, rice, bay leaves, celery (so expensive!) and 1 can of whole tomatoes. Not bad at all.

I made this stew in the Instant Pot. I started by sauteing the onion, pepper and celery. (Left out the oil!) Add some spices, broth, tomatoes and a bunch of other stuff and pressure cooked it for about 9 minutes. Initially, I thought to leave the rice out but then I realized it wouldn't have any thickener in it so I kept it in. When I opened the pot, I was happy to see that everything was perfectly cooked but saddened to see that it was nothing like the thick stews I like and very much on the thin side. I ate this over fresh Basmati rice (also made in the IP) and I thought it was yummy. Thankfully, this baby thickened up into more of a stew-like texture overnight in the fridge- that made me very happy, indeed. The butternut squash is so sweet and the green pepper really gives it that jambalaya flavor. I really liked this and how hearty it is; a perfect meal for a cold night and another winner from Isa.

Update: I'm realizing that I must decrease the amount of liquid when using the IP as the liquid doesn't evaporate as it would using a regular pot. I will learn my lesson eventually!
Kidney Bean and Butternut Jamba Stew
adapted from Appetite for Reduction

1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried oregano
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can whole or chopped tomatoes (I used whole, chopped would be easier next time around)
1/2 cup basmati rice
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Preheat your IP to saute. Saute the onion, pepper, celery and garlic for about 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add the bay leaves and spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and seal the cooker and set to 9 minutes at pressure. I did a quick pressure release and it came out perfectly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment